Deepalaya Special Unit- Sanjay Colony
Location : S/69 A, Sanjay Colony, Okhla Industrial Area Phase II, New Delhi
Contact Person : Ms Sangeeta
Contact Number : 011- 64719557
Commenced From : 1993
Beneficiary Numbers: 69
Funding Agency : Oriflame, PEC Ltd, Le Passage To India(LPTI)
Annual Expenditure : Rs 15,00,000
Deepalaya strongly believes that children with special abilities could also lead a normal life like their counterparts if they have effective access to services like early identification, intervention, education, vocational training, employment opportunities and the availability of aids and appliances. Thus caring for children with special abilities became a part of Deepalaya 15 years ago.
The special unit caters to the need of children with various disabilities like Intellectual Disability, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Autism, Hearing and Speech Impaired, Muscular Dystrophy and other physical impairments from slum areas of South Delhi.
Deepalaya Special Unit in Sanjay Colony is equipped with learning aids and toys to play with. The human infrastructure to help the children includes special educators, Speech therapist, physiotherapist, community mobilizer, and occupational therapist cum coordinator. The unit looks after the children in the age group of 3-18 years.
The classes for the children are held in two batches- morning and afternoon. Emphasis is given to the holistic development of each child and the development of each child is monitored closely.
Individualized Education Plan of each child is made for a period of three months depending upon the need of each and training is given accordingly. After the period of three months, the development of each child is monitored and further action plan made.
A series of regular activities are conducted with the students’ everyday based on their Individualized Educational Program. Each child’s activities progresses as per his/her level achieved.
Some of the activities carried out include identification of English and Hindi alphabets, counting of numbers, reverse counting of numbers, Clay modeling, Finger and vegetable painting Puzzles etc.
- 6 students from Deepalaya’s Special Unit participated in a competition organized by Sahan Ngo and won 1st prize in Aerobics and 3rd Prize in Yoga.
- Two students Geeta and Pinki participated in 100 mts race and soft ball throw and won 1st and 3rd place for Deepalaya at Anant pur during the event sponsored by Special Olympic Bharat.
- 18 students were enrolled to Taare Zameen Par a part of Sun Foundation for Vocational Training in different trades like Textile Printing & Lifestyle Product Making, Drafting and Tailoring, Graphic Designing.
- 3 students (Archana, Radha and Pinki) went to Shaurya centre for Summer Buzz Activity, these activities were planned for students under the AUTISM Spectrum disorder, students participated in Yoga, Music Therapy Session, Puppetry and done well.
- The students during the summer activity prepared paper bags.
- Students participated in the Fashion Show organized by Sun Foundation (Sukriti 2011) in the non competitive category as this fashion show was organized for the graduates of Fashion Designing