A quarter of a million of Delhi's children, living in slums or on the streets, do not go to school. Just an hour's drive from Delhi, in rural Mewat, literacy is only 33%, and even lower for the girls. Deepalaya's flagship program Education derives its rationale from these startling figures.
Over time, we have established 337 educational centres where 50,000 beneficiaries are educated through formal and non-formal education. Four formal schools - three of Deepalaya and the other in collaboration with the Narang's - were established. Moreover, two schools were founded as Satellites. Deepalaya is accredited to the National Open School for both academic and vocational streams.
Mission:- Our mission is to promote and provide qualitative education at affordable costs to children and communities, which are socially and economically deprived. Furthermore this program helps to bring out the children's latent talents, so that they not only acquire academic learning, but also vocational proficiency, personal character and societal values. They should become self - reliant and responsible citizens.
Strategy:- The strategy is mainly based upon the micro planning with government schools
- Identification and survey of all government schools in and around the locations in which Deepalaya is working.
- Operation of a survey about the facilities (both infrastructure and human resources) available in these schools.
- Formation of pressure groups within the communities with parents, especially with mothers, to demand for better facilities and quality of education in government schools.
- Involvement of teachers with parents and attempt to bring them closer to each other for a joint effort towards overall betterment in schools.
- Creation of government and non government linkages with community pressure groups as well as schools so as to provide facilities like libraries, playground etc.
- Rapport building with concerned government authorities to facilitate the process of qualitative improvement in schools.
- Canvass for larger allocation of resources to establish schools to cater for universality of education for all.